Wednesday, June 08, 2005

No one told me!

Dave Allen, courtesy of screenonlineOh, bloody hell. Dave Allen died in March. Nobody told me!

Dave Allen is one of those memories from your childhood that form who you are. Probably explains why I like whisky. I remember watching him on the tele, which means his show must have been shown before my bedtime.

I also remember long rambling jokes, some of which I didn't get, or didn't want to appear to get in front of my parents. There seemed to be a lot of stuff about the Pope too. Funny sketches with the Pope being carried around on a litter or sedia gestatoria through rivers, traffic, small towns, etc.

Screenonline seem to have the best summary about him. I love his comment about potential complaints over his sending up of the Church. "I get more letters about scratching my head or sitting sideways in my chair!"

Must try to find some videos of the guy.

Did you know he was a painter too?

1 Comments:

At Friday, 17 June 2005 at 1:17:00 pm NZST, Blogger About Greg Comfort said...

Follow up

Watched a video collection of Dave's stuff that I found at Alice's. His talking-on-a-chair stuff was ok, but the sketches were the best.

Not as funny as I remembered. Has humour become more sophisticated? Or have I just got older?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home